Tuesday, February 24, 2009

9 Year Old Texas Girl Marries

My mother died of cancer when I was 9 years old. It was very hard watching her deteriorate over time, especially when you couldn't quite understand why. My mother was a very good person, kind-hearted, loving, giving.

Today I watched on the news as a very distraught mother of a 9 year old daughter with Leukemia walk down the aisle and get married. The groom was her age or a year or two younger. They met in the cancer hospital and learned to support one another.

In about 3 weeks he will be a very young widower.

But the one thing that hit me in the ceremony, besides the strength of the little girl to live life to the fullest in her last days, were the words of the minister. "Do you promise to be his friend forever?"

That's a very powerful question. If adults could make a promise like that when marrying I think the divorce rate would go way down. Somewhere along the line many of us forget to be friends.

Thank you, Brian, for being my friend forever.




Thank you, children, for showing hope to everyone in a time when for you others would see things as being quite hopeless. You are truly an inspiration.

No comments: