Thursday, March 12, 2009

Painting in Real Life



I think living life is like painting. No matter how careful you are you tend to get the mess all over you. Sometimes it's because you are so caught up in what you are doing you aren't paying attention to where the paint goes, and other times it's because a child or a dog comes along to help you out and you end up all wet as well as multi-colored.

What's wonderful is that even though things get messy, in the end you have knowledge, memories, or a lesson that you've learned. Sometimes the strokes you make may be all wrong and you have to cover over it and start again. But the end result is worth it when you actually stick with it and finish the job. You learn that when something doesn't work you just don't try it again, or at least you would hope that you wouldn't try it again.

I don't mind getting messy. It shows that I'm alive, and for me that's a very good thing. But when the final product is done, I want to be able to stand back and enjoy the time and effort I put into it. It may not be a masterpiece but it's all mine and something to be proud of.

(The above picture is of four small paintings I did of the four seasons in Japanese Kanji. Acrylics on canvas.)

No comments: