Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Crazy Woman's Idea Recipe

Redneck Turtle Burgers raw.
Red Neck Turtle Burgers cooked.
Red Neck Turtle Burgers Recipe.

Now this recipe idea is not mine. No, a friend of mine on Facebook found it on the internet. There are a lot of dangerous things you can find on the internet these days. Recipes that your cardiologist would cringe at are just one of them.

So the recipe that she had was very basic. Take hamburger, form it into a patties, cover with cheddar, basket weave bacon around it, stick in some hot dogs for a head, tail, and feet, cook, eat.

Of course I had to add a few modifications to make this a bit healthier. And I never would just slab hamburger meat together and call it a burger. That's just wrong. Might as well eat it raw.

So, for the burgers I added: garlic, worchestershire, pepper, onion powder, no salt seasoning, and a dash of barbecue sauce. Mixed it all together and made my patties.
I also used low-sodium bacon, and Hebrew National hotdogs.  I checked the sodium and fat count on these to make sure they were okay. I also used reduced fat cheese.

Once you get these puppies together you bake them in the oven on 400 degrees F for 30-40 minutes. Now, a neat trick I learned from my insane Facebook friend is that if you want the bacon a bit brown turn on the broiler for a few minutes.

Scarily enough there were several of us that made these yesterday. It was like a mini fad going on. Each of us varied our recipes and took pictures. Involved countries included Canada, USA, and the Netherlands. Hillbilly cooking is not just for the Southern States any longer. My daddy was a hillbilly from Tennessee. I remember him making cornbread and a big pot of beans that smelled the entire house to high heaven. I would sneak out the window to avoid that scent. But Southern cooking is not staying put, evidently. They now have a following all over the world. Be afraid, people, they are expanding, and as they do so will your caloric intake.

I only made two of them, because even with the modifications to the recipe it just seemed so darn hard to justify eating them. However, my 17 year old son was in heaven. I think the word "Meat!" was all he had to say when he saw them and "Delicious!" came out of his mouth before he trudged off to his hermit cave we fondly call his room.

No comments: